About Me

My Photo
Jennifer M Oliver
I am a photographer, animal advocate & advocate for rheumatic diseases.
View my complete profile
AdeninesGraphixandDesign. Powered by Blogger.

Twitter

Follow adeninesangel on Twitter

NetworkBlogs

Thursday, January 28, 2010

PostHeaderIcon Of Fact Or Fiction?

I thought when I’d left the world of a small town behind, you know one of those tiny out of the way towns where everyone knows everyone’s business within five minutes of it happening, that I had left the small world of Rumorsville behind. I was soon to find out how wrong I was, however, the source of it, both amused and disturbed me.


Like many people nowadays I’m addicted to my PC. I love my internet and hate going without it. I constantly am checking my email, my Facebook and other forums I belong to. I know I’m defiantly not alone in this addiction; lots of us suffer from it. How many of us constantly get those fun emails stating that if you don’t pass them on, for example, Hotmail will suddenly shut down; or another famous one, if you don’t add it to your Facebook status, then Facebook will close down. When I started to think about how many things get passed along in this fashion, many of them being total fiction, few of them being true, and many a mixture of both truth and fiction; I realized, I hadn’t left Rumorville behind, it had followed me online.

It does leave me pondering why is it, as humans, we have this compulsion to share things we either know are false or even share it before we know; not knowing what the consequences might be. Even though we live in an age where information is at our fingertips and it’s often easy to find out if things are truthful or lies; still we don’t take the time to think before we “share”.

I wonder how long it will continue to happen, in cyberspace and in real life as well. Is it merely human nature, and something that cannot be fixed? Or something that with a little work, all of us can become more conscious about, and possibly change?

My Time

Followers